Wexford New SF town councillor Thomas Forde : the chronicle.ie

Wexford New SF town councillor Thomas Forde

| January 5, 2018

Two years after suffering serious ill health the Sinn Fein Councillor, Anthony Kelly, has stepped down from Wexford Co. Council.

Cllr. Kelly suffered a stroke in early 2016 and despite being critically ill for a time fought back to retake his seat on the local authority. However, the lasting effects of his illness put a severe strain on the Wexford town man as he tackled the huge workload associated with being a councillor in the modern era.

Cllr. Kelly informed colleagues of his intention to step down at the annual Budget meeting of the Council. While sad to leave he said that given his illness he believed it was the right decision and he thanked his colleagues for their support.

Cllr. Kelly will be replaced on the Council by Thomas Ford.

There were widespread and warm tributes to Cllr. Kelly who was first elected to Wexford Borough Council in 1999.

Cllr. George Lawlor praised his passion for the development of Wexford and said Cllr Kelly never had any self-interest but was always focused on the best interests of Wexford and the wider community. Given the health issues which he had faced Cllr. Lawlor said he fully understood why Cllr. Kelly had taken the decision to stand down.

Fine Gael’s Paddy Kavanagh described Cllr. Kelly as a gentleman and said it had been a pleasure to have served with him. He said debates could be robust but there was never a grudge held and he urged Cllr Kelly to ‘look after yourself’

Cllr. Johnny Mythen said it was a very sad day particularly for Anthony’s colleagues in Sinn Fein.

The Council’s Chief Executive, Tom Enright, said Anthony would be a big loss to the Council and he pointed out that the staff at the Council had huge respect for him.

Category: News